Tiny blood-feeding insects, bed bugs are known to infest homes, hotels, and other sleeping areas. They can lead to allergies, psychological anguish, and itching. They are also challenging to get rid of.
Montana is one of the states with the most infestations of bed bugs in the US, according to a recent study by the pest management business Orkin. Three Montana cities—Billings, Great Falls, and Missoula—made the list of the top 50 places evaluated by the research based on Orkin’s bed bug treatments from January to December 2023.
Billings is 16th in the country.
The largest city in Montana, Billings, moved up from 25th place in 2022 to 16th place nationally for bed bug infections. This suggests that, in comparison to larger places like Denver, Seattle, and Boston, bed insect problems are more common.
Experts in pest control in the area blame things like more travel, ignorance, and chemical resistance for the surge in bed bug infections in Billings. Bed bugs are quickly dispersed and can travel on furniture, clothing, and other items. Because many people don’t know how to spot or avoid bed bugs, they unintentionally introduce them to their homes or places of employment. Furthermore, bed bugs are resistant to common insecticides, necessitating specific treatments for their eradication.
Missoula and Great Falls are included on the list
Two more significant Montana communities, Great Falls and Missoula, were listed among the US cities with the highest concentration of bed bug infestations. Missoula placed 47th, up from 49th in 2022, and Great Falls placed 41st, up from 44th in 2022. These rankings show that smaller and rural regions are also impacted by bed bug infestations, in addition to urban locations.
The causes of the rise in bed bug cases in Billings are also present in Great Falls and Missoula. In addition, the existence of hospitals, universities, and military sites may have a role in drawing tourists and migrant populations as well as providing the perfect environment for bed bugs.
Preventing and managing outbreaks of bed bugs
The secret to avoiding bed bug infestations is being vigilant and taking preventative action. The following advice will help you keep bed bugs out of your house and place of business:
- Check hotel rooms and other lodging places carefully for evidence of bed bugs, such as live or dead bugs, bloodstains, or fecal markings on walls, furniture, or bedding.
- Use covers or plastic bags to keep baggage and other items safe from beds and other potential hiding places.
- When you go home, vacuum your belongings and luggage and wash and dry your clothes at a high temperature.
- Use mattress and box spring encasements for protection, and inspect your house frequently for indications of bed bugs, paying particular attention to the bedroom.
- Avoid attempting self-treatment if bed bugs are detected, as this could make the condition worse. Make contact with a reputable pest control business that specializes in treating bed bugs, then heed their advice.
The problem of bed bugs is serious and getting worse in Montana and across the country. People can lessen their chance of coming into contact with these pests and lessen their impacts by being aware and taking preventative measures.